4.11.2008

The Book of Job class- first thoughts

Last night was the first class on The Book of Job. It was interesting, though we didn't discuss the entire middle section at all, which was kind of what I wanted to hear about.

I'm writing this at home on my iPod so I can't go into a huge post about my notes and thoughts. But, I did find it interesting that the professor claims that God was saving face with the Satan and win the other gods. I'm not sure I like the idea of God needing to save face with anyone, especially other gods. Why couldn't these trials and tribulations that Job went through be God's way of saying to future generations "hey, someday this whole system of rewards based on good deeds and punishments based on bad behavior is going to be done with. Someday you are going to have a world where bad things do happen to good people and you are not going to be able to rationalize it."

I will have more to say about this, so stay tuned.

Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

JD said...

I will look into that commentary; thanks! I'm going to try and read some more before the next class this Thursday.