5.19.2008

Looking Forward

Yesterday was my final day of Sunday school until the fall. I have to admit I’m more than a little happy to have a break. It is rare that I get to sleep in anymore and I’m really looking forward to staying in bed as late as I want next Sunday. One thing I love about Sundays during the summer is how lazy they can be; getting up when I want, reading the paper, drinking some coffee, going to the park. Monday through Friday is rush-rush-rush for me, and Saturday brings Shabbat and Torah study in the morning and a wonderful relaxation and release from the week. But Sundays in the summer are something altogether different. There is nowhere to be, usually nothing pressing to do and the morning holds so many more possibilities. Many times my mom has called during these quiet mornings, either waking me up or disturbing my quiet paper-reading or “Breakfast with the Beatles” listening. I don’t mind talking to her; but I love having that solitary time to myself. I know a lot of people who don’t enjoy being alone, spending time apart from their friends and family. I, personally, love it. Last year I took a 2 day vacation to a country inn and it was immensely satisfying. I didn’t need to talk to anyone, read e-mail, or be tempted by the TV. I read books, I sat out in the sun (and got sunburned), I walked in the woods, and I relaxed in my peace and quiet. I love being around people on Shabbat, but come Sunday morning, I love to take the hours for myself.

The next few Shabbats are going to be kind of crazy; the rabbi’s middle son will become a bar mitzvah this weekend, which means a huge service and party. And next weekend is HUC ordination and a very good friend of mine will ordained. There will be parties, and dinners, and breakfasts, and craziness will ensue as my friend’s and wife’s families descend upon the city. And it will bring them one step closer to their move to California and me one step closer to being many miles away from people I have grown to love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.