1.11.2008

Dinner w/ the Rabbinic Students, etc.

Last night was the birthday dinner for two friends of mine, both of whom are married to rabbinic students here in town. So, almost the entire party was, in some way, related to HUC except for me. I enjoy hanging out with my rabbinic student friends because they can go from talking about midrash and Rambam to the fact that someone's son's girlfriend is a horrible driver to Israel to teaching to Einstein's spirituality to who is dating who to dirty jokes and back again. I love being with people who understand my language and who aren't going to ask me what I'm talking about if I mention something Jewish. I love that no one there will judge you for eating a cheeseburger, but that someone is sure to point out that the birthday cake is not pareve for those who care. I love when the talk turns to Shabbat.

Tonight is Tot Shabbat, a Pre-K through 2nd Grade dinner, and a family service. The temple will be teeming with kids and it is one of the few times I consider skipping Friday night completely. But my friends with small children will likely be there, and I do enjoy being with them on Shabbat, so I'll go. I'll just take preventative Advil before I leave.

Tomorrow is my first Torah study w/ my rabbi in quite awhile, since before the Biennial. I went to another temple last week because we didn't have services, and it was good, but I'll be glad to be back in my home temple and learning with my rabbi.

And Sunday is Religious School. I have a faculty meeting afterwards to map out lesson plans for the 2nd half of the year, which I don't really want to do. Not because I don't want to be prepared, but I teach 4th grade Hebrew and the next class really depends on what we get done in the current class. I plan for Tuesday after Sunday, and for Sunday after Tuesday. If the kids aren't getting things quickly, I'll choose to spend more time on something and not move on. But, I'll go because that's what I'm supposed to do. Hopefully I can get out of the all-city in service which is next week, I believe. Those are usually kinda crappy.

No comments: