3.17.2008

זכרונם לברכה

This morning I returned to my desk from a meeting to find an e-mail telling me (and my entire congregation) that one of our oldest and most beloved members had died Saturday night. I am struck with this enormous grief because this woman welcomed me so openly into our temple and into her life; she referred to me as her grandchild and I was invited to seders and break-the-fasts with her family. She was a wonderful and caring person who was always happy to be at temple, or to see new faces, or to hold the young children when she could. She delighted in receiving and giving hugs. And they love between her and her husband was amazing to see. She had not been well for a long time now and hadn't been to temple in months. I was just thinking this weekend how much I wanted to go visit her in the hospital. And then the e-mail. I hate that I found out through e-mail; it's such a cold and impersonal way to find out that someone you cared for is gone. I decided to go to the monthly Lunch and Learn in a couple of buildings over because I knew my rabbi would be there and I wanted to be around people who knew her. As we sat down for lunch and were waiting for the others he asked me if I had heard and if I knew when the funeral was. As it was still very fresh I just nodded my head and so he asked if he should just be quiet for the moment. Afterwards we walked out together and I couldn't even speak, but he hugged me and told me to call him if I needed to. He hadn't wanted me to find out through e-mail, but didn't want to say anything before our Purim celebration with the religious school kids yesterday, which I understand. I know he was very close to the family and how hard it must be for him as well.

זכרונם לברכה
May her memory be for a blessing.

No comments: